Close Menu
Canadian ReviewsCanadian Reviews
  • What’s On
  • Reviews
  • Digital World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Web Stories
Trending Now

29 Years Later, the Best Cosmic Sci-Fi Thriller of All Time Is Officially Free To Stream

David Bowie Once Said ‘They’ve Got To Stop’ About This Rock Band, Whose Frontman Turns 48 Today

Your lookahead horoscope: August 23, 2026 | Canada Voices

22nd Aug: Salish & Jordan Matter (2026), 3 Seasons [TV-PG] – New Episodes (4.35/10)

Will Karmelo Anthony get a new trial? Judge makes decision

This beautiful restaurant near Montreal is nestled on a lake and it’s a dreamy date-night gem

Mystery man found collapsed on Amsterdam street is not missing Canadian, police say

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Canadian ReviewsCanadian Reviews
  • What’s On
  • Reviews
  • Digital World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Web Stories
Newsletter
Canadian ReviewsCanadian Reviews
You are at:Home » Will Karmelo Anthony get a new trial? Judge makes decision
Lifestyle

Will Karmelo Anthony get a new trial? Judge makes decision

22 August 20265 Mins Read
Karmelo Anthony new trial denied in Collin County court

MCKINNEY, Texas – A judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in the fatal stabbing of Frisco student Austin Metcalf during a track meet last year. 

19-year-old Anthony was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison. Judge Michael Chitty, who was newly appointed to hear the matter after the judge who oversaw the trial was removed from the appeal process. 

Newly appointed judge denies request for new trial

On Aug. 22, Judge Chitty denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial.

“Upon reviewing the motion, the record, the evidence and argument, the briefs, and the relevant case law, the Court has determined that the motion should be denied,” the judge’s order states. “It is therefore considered, ordered, and adjudged by the Court that the Motion for New Trial is denied.”

Local perspective:

“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing,” said Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis.

Criminal defense attorney Mark Scott, who is not involved in the case, said Anthony’s attorneys faced a high bar in seeking a new trial because they needed to show a significant legal or constitutional error.

Scott said the defense’s challenge to an informal agreement between prosecutors and Anthony’s original attorneys could be difficult to pursue because the agreement was not formally placed on the trial record.

“The court of appeals is going to be reviewing the entire transcript and the judge’s ruling as well,” Scott said.

Defense challenged attorney agreement, courtroom access

The backstory:

Anthony’s new attorneys argued that his rights were violated through undocumented conferences held by former Collin County Judge John Roach and pretrial hearings Anthony did not attend.

They also argued Anthony was denied his Sixth Amendment right to a public trial because of decisions limiting courtroom access during his trial.

A central issue at Friday’s hearing was a “gentleman’s agreement” between prosecutors and Anthony’s original defense attorneys to keep certain character evidence involving both Anthony and Metcalf out of the trial.

Former defense attorney Toby Shook testified the agreement was intended to focus the case on what happened “under the tent,” where the stabbing occurred. Shook said he believed the agreement would have allowed Anthony to testify in support of a self-defense claim without allowing prosecutors to introduce other potentially damaging evidence.

Shook testified that Anthony taking the stand was the “only effective way” for jurors to hear why he believed deadly force was necessary. He said Anthony’s testimony could have supported a self-defense claim or possibly resulted in a conviction on the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Prosecutor Bill Wirskye testified the agreement was intended to protect both sides from damaging character evidence entering the public record and affecting the jury pool. He said the state gave up “a whole lot” through the agreement.

During closing arguments, prosecutors argued the courtroom remained accessible to the public and media, while the defense said the decision to stop using an overflow room during the trial improperly limited public access.

What happened at the track meet?

Karmelo Anthony arrest body cam footage

Karmelo Anthony arrest body cam footage

Karmelo Anthony arrest body cam footage

On Friday, June 19, the judge who presided over The State of Texas vs. Karmelo Anthony released evidence from the trial. This is police body camera footage from Anthony’s arrest.

Anthony was convicted of murder in the April 2, 2025, stabbing death of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a regional high school track meet at Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco.

Investigators said Anthony, then a Centennial High School student, was sitting under the Memorial High School team tent when Metcalf, a Memorial student, told him to leave. Authorities said they found no evidence the two teens knew each other before the confrontation.

Stadium surveillance video released after the trial shows Metcalf and his friends walking toward the tent. Later footage shows Anthony running from the tent and out of the stadium after the stabbing.

Karmelo Anthony case: Court releases surveillance video

Karmelo Anthony case: Court releases surveillance video

Karmelo Anthony case: Court releases surveillance video

Karmelo Anthony was found guilty of murder for the stabbing of Austin Metcalf in 2025. Following the guilty verdict, a Collin County judge released several files, including body camera and surveillance video. The footage shows the moments before and immediately after the fatal stabbing. Anthony was sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Witnesses identified Anthony to a school resource officer shortly afterward, according to his arrest report. Police body camera video shows Anthony telling an officer that Metcalf “put his hands on me” and that he had acted to protect himself.

In another recording, Anthony told an officer, “I did it,” after police referred to him as the alleged suspect.

A 911 caller said a friend had been stabbed under the tent and asked for an ambulance. Images of the knife used in the stabbing and additional surveillance video were also released following the trial.

Anthony has maintained that he acted in self-defense.

What’s next:

The case will now move forward through the Fifth Court of Appeals.

This is a developing story. Refresh this page for updates.

The Source: Information in this story came from FOX 4 news and previous FOX Local reporting.

NewsTexasCrime and Public Safety

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email

Related Articles

29 Years Later, the Best Cosmic Sci-Fi Thriller of All Time Is Officially Free To Stream

Lifestyle 23 August 2026

David Bowie Once Said ‘They’ve Got To Stop’ About This Rock Band, Whose Frontman Turns 48 Today

Lifestyle 23 August 2026

Your lookahead horoscope: August 23, 2026 | Canada Voices

Lifestyle 23 August 2026

22nd Aug: Salish & Jordan Matter (2026), 3 Seasons [TV-PG] – New Episodes (4.35/10)

Lifestyle 23 August 2026

This beautiful restaurant near Montreal is nestled on a lake and it’s a dreamy date-night gem

Lifestyle 22 August 2026

Mystery man found collapsed on Amsterdam street is not missing Canadian, police say

Lifestyle 22 August 2026
Top Articles
The Mother May I Story – Chickpea Edition

The Mother May I Story – Chickpea Edition

18 May 202498 Views
How to Keep Your Business Finances Organized All Year Round

How to Keep Your Business Finances Organized All Year Round

3 October 202590 Views
Why Should a Couple in Love Visit an Escape Room?

Why Should a Couple in Love Visit an Escape Room?

30 September 202588 Views
LearnToTrade: A Comprehensive Look at the Controversial Trading School

LearnToTrade: A Comprehensive Look at the Controversial Trading School

28 April 202478 Views
Demo
Don't Miss
Lifestyle 22 August 2026

This beautiful restaurant near Montreal is nestled on a lake and it’s a dreamy date-night gem

If you’re looking for a romantic restaurant that feels like a true escape from the…

Mystery man found collapsed on Amsterdam street is not missing Canadian, police say

23 Years Later, Spike’s Best ‘Buffy’ Quote Is Still One of the Greatest Moments in TV History

Motown Songwriter Janie Bradford Has Died at 87

About Us
About Us

Canadian Reviews is your one-stop website for the latest Canadian trends and things to do, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

29 Years Later, the Best Cosmic Sci-Fi Thriller of All Time Is Officially Free To Stream

David Bowie Once Said ‘They’ve Got To Stop’ About This Rock Band, Whose Frontman Turns 48 Today

Your lookahead horoscope: August 23, 2026 | Canada Voices

Most Popular
Why You Should Consider Investing with IC Markets

Why You Should Consider Investing with IC Markets

28 April 202430 Views
OANDA Review – Low costs and no deposit requirements

OANDA Review – Low costs and no deposit requirements

28 April 2024365 Views
LearnToTrade: A Comprehensive Look at the Controversial Trading School

LearnToTrade: A Comprehensive Look at the Controversial Trading School

28 April 202478 Views
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.